Saturday, 22 February 2014

Hollow City by Ransom Riggs


12396528
The extraordinary journey that began in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children continues as Jacob Portman and his newfound friends journey to London the peculiar capital of the world. But in this war-torn city, hideous surprises lurk around every corner. Like its predecessor, this second novel in the Peculiar Children series blends thrilling fantasy with never-before-published vintage photography to create a one-of-a-kind reacting experience.

When I read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, I wasn't a fan. For whatever reason, the story just didn't appeal to me, I found the relationship between Jacob and Emma unnecessary and awkward and for me the whole thing just felt...flat.

But THIS book was a whole world away from that story world I remember! I liked how the author plunged straight into the story and picked up from exactly where Miss Peregrine's left off. There was also more development of the characters, and I felt like we got to know them better. New characters were there too, and definitely added a dynamic to the story!

I loved the photographs as usual - I find it amazing how the author can weave a story around them and bring the most bizarre pictures in line with the story. Jacob and Emma's romance felt more natural this time as well, maybe because Jacob's grandfather wasn't mentioned as much or maybe because not as much emphasis was placed on it as in the first book. Either way, it made the book much more enjoyable to read!

The ending was shocking, if a teeny bit predictable. I kind of guessed something along the lines of what was happening, but for some reason that didn't lessen the shock anymore when what had been previously hinted at happened. *tries to be as vague as possible*

The only problem I had with this book was that the plot seemed to lack a little for me around 3/4 of the way through, and I felt like the same thing was happening over and over again. But apart from that, it was pretty much perfect!

Overall, a really good book, and a GREAT sequel! 4/5 stars.

Thank you to Quirk Books for sending me this book for review!

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to hear that the 2nd one was even better! However, I loved the first one. It makes me even more excited to pick this one up. Are you looking forward to the 3rd and final book?

    This may seem like an odd question, but how did you become a reviewer for Penguin? I have been doing some research and just can't seem to figure it out. I would like to start being sent books for review from anyone really, just not too sure where to start. Your advice would be greatly appreciated! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete