Thursday, 30 January 2014

The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens


The Mystery of Edwin DroodEdwin Drood is contracted to marry Orphan Rosa, but they break the engagement off-and soon afterwards Edwin disappears. Is it murder? And is his jealous uncle-a sinister choirmaster with a double life and designs on Rosa-the killer? Dickens died before completing the story, leaving the mystery unsolved and encouraging successive generations of readers to turn detective. In addition to its tantalizing crime, the novel also offers a characteristically Dickensian mix of the fantastical world of the imagination and a vibrantly journalistic depiction of gritty reality.

I have been trying to read more classics lately and have made a pledge to myself that I will read at least 10 in 2014. This is one that I started at the end of last year and vowed to finish before it died a slow and dusty death on my shelf.

As I often find with Dickens, I started this book with moderate levels of excitement, and managed to get 100 pages in with ease before I began to find it harder and harder to pick up. I think, especially with this book, that it was mainly due to the fact that I knew it was unfinished; there wouldn't be that ultimate sense of satisfaction at the end.

But as to the part of the book that was written, it was amazing; in fact, it was probably one of the best Dickens I've read. The scene was set beautifully as always, and Dickens' humorous descriptions of all of his characters really help to bring them to life tenfold.

The mystery was compelling from the moment that Edwin disappeared; I enjoyed the woes of his relationship with Rosa and the dilemma that she was in with Neville.

As to who I think the murderer is...well, you'll just have to keep guessing.

Overall, a good read. I'm not really sure how to rate an unfinished novel but as for what was there to read, it was very good. 3/5 stars.

2 comments:

  1. That's so interesting that it was unfinished! That must have been hard to rate.. I'm glad you enjoyed what you read though!

    I hope to read more classics this year too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! Reading an unfinished book is always strange, and leaves you with a feeling that there should be more. The only unfinished book I've ever read is The Watsons by Jane Austen, and it's simply frustrating that the story ends without actually ending. However, I'll definitely give Mystery of Edwin Drood a try someday.

    ReplyDelete