Sunday, 19 January 2014

Rumours by Anna Godbersen

Rumours (Luxe, #2)After bidding good-bye to New York's brightest star, Elizabeth Holland, rumors continue to fly about her untimely demise.

All eyes are on those closest to the dearly departed: her mischievous sister, Diana, now the family's only hope for redemption; New York's most notorious cad, Henry Schoonmaker, the flame Elizabeth never extinguished; the seductive Penelope Hayes, poised to claim all that her best friend left behind—including Henry; even Elizabeth's scheming former maid, Lina Broud, who discovers that while money matters and breeding counts, gossip is the new currency.

As old friends become rivals, Manhattan's most dazzling socialites find their futures threatened by whispers from the past. In this delicious sequel to The Luxe, nothing is more dangerous than a scandal... or more precious than a secret.


I read The Luxe all the way back in November 2012 and have taken this long to bring myself to read Rumours. Not because I didn't enjoy The Luxe, because I absolutely loved it, but I think because I was too scared to finish the series too quickly. But I am so glad that at last I picked Rumours up...it was AMAZING!

I can't really say exactly what it is that draws me to this book; the plot isn't exactly fast paced and the writing isn't overly descriptive or beautiful, but something about it just made it impossible to refuse picking up.

As I said, the plot isn't exactly fast paced, but in the last 50 pages or so, everything that has been slowly building up throughout the entire book explodes and it's like a whirlwind packed into a tiny cupboard, explosion after explosion. I won't say what happens but I was physically left incapable to speak, so judge from that that it's pretty unexpected.

The romance between Diana and Henry develops and it's beyond adorable and we see Penelope finally get her comeuppance in the first part of the book...in the second, well, that'll just have to change.

I can't even mention Elizabeth because I'll ruin everything with one word if you haven't read the first book, but let's just say that she is still a major part of the book and at certain points, it feels like everything has gone back to normal.

Overall, an amazing book. I loved it so much and now I need to slow down before rushing on to the next one! 5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment