Sunday, 25 August 2013

The Diviners by Libba Bray

The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)

Evie O’Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City—and she is pos-i-tute-ly ecstatic. It’s 1926, and New York is filled with speakeasies, Ziegfeld girls, and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is that she has to live with her uncle Will and his unhealthy obsession with the occult.Evie worries he’ll discover her darkest secret: a supernatural power that has only brought her trouble so far. But when the police find a murdered girl branded with a cryptic symbol and Will is called to the scene, Evie realizes her gift could help catch a serial killer.

As Evie jumps headlong into a dance with a murderer, other stories unfold in the city that never sleeps. A young man named Memphis is caught between two worlds. A chorus girl named Theta is running from her past. A student named Jericho hides a shocking secret. And unknown to all, something dark and evil has awakened.


The 20s is one of my favourite time periods, so I was really excited for this book. But, at the same time, I was a bit reluctant to embark on such a long journey; if you didn't already know, this book is HUGE.

The first 100 pages or so were slow, and I was thinking of returning it to the library without finishing it. After all, 100 pages was barely a fraction of the way through a book this long. But I decided to persevere after a few weeks' break from it, and I was so glad when I did.

I have decided that all of Libba Bray's books take a good 100 pages to get to the real plot, and this book fit that formula exactly. All of a sudden every chapter was bursting with new plot twists and the characters began to make rash decisions and I loved it! Every page was exciting and I couldn't wait for more.

What I really loved about this book was how Libba Bray manages to so accurately capture the atmosphere of the 20s whilst putting a supernatural twist on everything. The paranormal elements made the era seem even more magical and really bring to life a world which is so different from our own.

I was again impressed by Libba Bray's ability to create some of the most endearing and realistic characters than I have ever read about. Evie is spoilt and selfish, but throughout the book, she puts it to good use, and uses her precocious nature to get her own way. It's humorous and really brings her to life. There are too many side characters to name them all, but there wasn't one who I didn't like. My favourite was probably Theta, who is one of those tragic characters you can't help but be drawn to.

This book was amazing and I would definitely recommend it, especially if you enjoy the 20s. 5/5 stars!

2 comments:

  1. I agree, this was a great back, but you really did have to get into it! I feel like a lot of the book was trying to distract us from the real plot. However, once it did get into it, the description was amazing and the characters felt so real!

    www.alicekouzmenkowriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't give enough praise to The Diviners...can't wait for the sequel. Can just tell that it will be as amazing as the first!

    ReplyDelete