Wednesday, 10 April 2013

Geek Girl by Holly Smale

Geek GirlHarriet Manners knows a lot of things.

She knows that a cat has 32 muscles in each ear, a "jiffy" lasts 1/100th of a second, and the average person laughs 15 times per day. What she isn't quite so sure about is why nobody at school seems to like her very much. So when she's spotted by a top model agent, Harriet grabs the chance to reinvent herself. Even if it means stealing her Best Friend's dream, incurring the wrath of her arch enemy Alexa, and repeatedly humiliating herself in front of the impossibly handsome supermodel Nick. Even if it means lying to the people she loves.

As Harriet veers from one couture disaster to the next with the help of her overly enthusiastic father and her uber-geeky stalker, Toby, she begins to realise that the world of fashion doesn't seem to like her any more than the real world did.

And as her old life starts to fall apart, the question is: will Harriet be able to transform herself before she ruins everything?

The premise of Geek Girl was one that both intruiged and frightened me; it could either be everything I was looking for in a good contemporary, or fall completely flat. So, with unexpected reluctance, I read the first page and realised that my doubts had been completely ill founded.

Holly Smale's writing style is one that is so fluid and effortless that this book was one that I didn't put down once; I read it back to back in a few hours because it was just that addictive. It conveys the main character's geeky thought processes so well that I often found myself laughing at the obscure facts that she somehow manages to include in conversations.

The book is fast paced; the characters are never in the same place or doing the same thing for too long, so the plot never dies out or gets boring. The other characters aside from Harriet, such as Toby and Nat, are hilarious and each add to the plot in their own ways, which I loved.

I also liked that Harriet's home life wasn't perfect; I felt that her struggles with her parents really added to the story and helped to develop her character.

The insight into the modeling world was something else that I enjoyed throughout this book; that Holly Smale has a background in modeling is evident, and definitely made the story more believable.

The only problem I had with this book was the romance. It's not that I didn't want it to happen (I did, I really did), it was just that the way it happened felt a little too rushed and there was little development between the two characters. Aside from that though, I thought the book was perfect and can't wait for the next books in the series!

4/5 stars.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ellen!

    This book looks great, I'll be checking this one out soon too!

    I love your blog AND youtube channel. I've watched every single video that you've made! I really like the way your reviews are written, they sound very professional!

    I'm a total book nerd! Today, you totally inspired me, for some reason, to start a blog of my own! Not forcing you or any thing but could you possibly check it out and tell me if it's any good? here's the link:

    http://thewordthief.weebly.com

    Yours,

    TheWordThief

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I just today found your youtube channel (and watched the christmas video with your hundred new books and got mad instantly), the books does seem interesting, but I am not really that much into the modeling part, so I probably won't grab it any time soon. Sending you hallo from Czech Republic :)

    ReplyDelete