Sunday, 20 January 2013

Harken by Kaleb Nation


Harken (Harken, #1)After surviving an assassination attempt, teenager Michael Asher discovers that he is at the center of a worldwide conspiracy reaching higher than any earthly power. A supernatural organization desperately wants him dead. He doesn't know why. Everyone who might have the answers has already been killed.

Tumbling into a web of international secrets, Michael is forced to fight back and dig up the truth. He begins to question how much of the world is truly as people are led to believe it is. Are there things that humanity is not being told? Who is the puppet master? And how far into the maze can he venture before he is lost forever?


This book wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great either. There were some aspects I really enjoyed, and others not so much.

I enjoyed Michael as a character, and thought that he was a very strong protaganist and was well rounded during the novel, but I never really felt attached to him. Although I liked reading about what he was doing, I couldnt really bring myself to care about what was going to happen to him. The character that I enjoyed the most was Michael’s little sister, Alli. For some reason, I grew attached to her straight away and wanted more of her witty, hilarious character in the novel.

The plot was quite fast paced, and something of interest happened in every chapter, but from the start, the story didn’t grab me. I definitely believed in the conspiracy and found the whole idea plausible, but it wasn’t anything that I would chose to read again. A lot of the time I felt I could predict what was going to happen, although a few twists were thrown in here and there which made everything a little more exciting.

The writing style was good, but that’s as far as it goes. I generally do not like the use of exclamation marks in novels (with the exception of dialogue), and this book was no different. I found that the exclamation marks made everything a little contrived and awkward.

Overall, I enjoyed this book, but it wasn’t anything too memorable. For me, it was just lacking in the strength and background of some (not all) of the characters, and in catching my attention from the start; I never really felt engaged or immersed in the story.

3/5 stars.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I've nominated you for the Liebster Award. Check it out here:
    http://adventuresofateenagebookworm.blogspot.ie/2013/01/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad to finally read a review of this book that isn't written by the author's fans, or if you are, at least you're impartial to the quality of the book.
    Myself, I haven't read it yet because I genuinely dislike e-books (I just can't read off a display and I don't have one of those paper-look Kindles, sooo...), but I'm hoping he'll get the book published in paper format soon because I do enjoy Kaleb and I would love to read it, whether or not I'll like it :)

    ReplyDelete