Sunday, 2 December 2012

The Luxe by Anna Godbersen

The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
Pretty girls in pretty dresses, partying until dawn.
Irresistible boys with mischievous smiles and dangerous intentions.
White lies, dark secrets, and scandalous hookups.
This is Manhattan, 1899. Beautiful sisters Elizabeth and Diana Holland rule Manhattan's social scene. Or so it appears. When the girls discover their status among New York City's elite is far from secure, suddenly everyone--from the backstabbing socialite Penelope Hayes, to the debonair bachelor Henry Schoonmaker, to the spiteful maid Lina Broud--threatens Elizabeth's and Diana's golden future.

With the fate of the Hollands resting on her shoulders, Elizabeth must choose between family duty and true love. But when her carriage overturns near the East River, the girl whose glittering life lit up the city's gossip pages is swallowed by the rough current. As all of New York grieves, some begin to wonder whether life at the top proved too much for this ethereal beauty, or if, perhaps, someone wanted to see Manhattan's most celebrated daughter disappear...
 
I absolutely adored this book! I was drawn in at first by the pretty cover, and it certainly didn't disappoint! At first, the amount of characters can make it difficult to discern who the five teenagers mentioned in the synopsis are, but after a while everything settles down and it is very easy to immerse yourself in the story.
 
Godbersen's writing really brings the time to life, and her vivid descriptions make everything seem all the more real. Her characters are so well rounded that I finished the book feeling as if I knew them personally, and the particularly rebellious characters I grew to love most of all.
 
The ending of this book fitted the rest of it perfectly, making me desperate to read the next one. I did see what was coming, but I didn't know how Godbersen would do it. I'm pleased to say, she did it very well!

Overall, I gave this book 5/5 stars. Thanks for reading, and what did you think of The Luxe?
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Haven't read this yet but I loved the cover so much and hoped the story would live up to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard loads of people give this bad reviews but I didnt understand! I loved it and glad you enjoyed it too! Have you read any of the others in the series?

    ReplyDelete